Click to Home
Go To Search
Click to Home
Email pagePrint page
Fenwick Island Through the Years
Government before Incorporation
Before incorporation, residents of Fenwick Island were governed by a type of homeowner association. There existed three distinct "beaches" at the time: Pittsburgh Beach, Delaware Beach and Maryland Beach. Pittsburgh Beach was so-called because the original residents were from the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area.

Many of the association leaders became active in Town government after incorporation in 1953.

Fenwick Island Lighthouse
In 1953, a Mr. A F. Bunting requested information regarding the history of the lighthouse. He received a letter from Senator John J. Williams that included a two-page document from the Library of Congress. We include a scanned copy here for those interested in more of Fenwick Island and Lighthouse history. Thanks to Jim Purnell, Town of Fenwick Island Public Works Department, for bringing this document to our office.


The Town of Fenwick Island • 800 Coastal Highway • Fenwick Island, DE 19944 • 302-539-3011 • Police 302-539-2000
Home Home  |  Email Page Email Page  | Print Page Print  |  Calendar  |  FAQs  |  Contact Us  |  Accessibility  |  Site Map |  Renewable Energy Windpowered | Powered by CivicPlus  | Copyright Notices